Saturday, May 11, 2013

Working in the Top Soil

Oh my aching body, we had a super productive afternoon and evening on Friday! I took off work early and met my relative "BJ" at the farm. He helped me bolt on the auger bit attachment to the tractor and then proceeded to help me bore all 12 holes for the three raised bed corner posts.



I could not take photos of my part in this whole drilling holes act, but I am here to tell you it involves lots of hand work with a set of post hole diggers and my back is still aching just thing about it. The auger bit is a very heavy, clunky piece of steel that has to be lead into the right spot and held there for direction. On several holes it would try to snake away from the exact spot to drill and start drilling on an angle. Very manual hand work leading it...

I forgot to mention I had a 16 yard load of top soil delivered on Friday morning. And Hubby picked up some bags of drainage rocks for the bed bottoms.



Once the beds were lowered into the augered holes, we were ready to spread the drainage rock and back fill the posts.




Next, it was time to fill the raised beds with top soil mixed with a tad of fertilizer.



Once the beds were full up, we then spread the rest of the top soil into the area where the garden will be. It was dark by the time we got the top soil moved around. Even with the headlights on the tractor, it would wait until morning to till.

No comments:

Post a Comment