Monday, June 3, 2013

Showers Showers Bring June... Blooms?

After my prayers and rain dance yesterday, we had over 1/2 inch of rainfall during the thunderstorm that came through around 5pm. I was so glad to get the much needed rain... and it meant that I had to get to the farm as quickly as possible this evening after work to take care of some garden needs. So I left work shortly after 5pm today to rush home only to find out that we got another 3/4 inch of rain earlier this afternoon during a freak 20 minute downpour! My garden was super giggling when I got to the farm today...



It seemed like everything in the garden had grown at least 2 inches! Rain is so good for the plants... no amount of well water can grow the plants the way rainwater does!
My pumpkin sprouts were much bigger...



My week old okra was moving on up too!



The pole beans are almost up to the baling twine!!



After a thorough examination of the happy garden, I loaded up the "dust-mizer" contraption of my Grandad's and sprayed some sevin-dust on a few plants that had evidence of insect damage (i.e. bugs, worms, etc.)... The humidity in the garden was so thick it made it hard to work fast. Next, I re-applied the plot saver liquid to the deer/varmint prevention fence around the entire perimeter of the garden. By this time, I was soaked with sweat and Hubby had made it home.

And after all my hoping for rain yesterday (and after getting 1-1/4" already between yesterday and today) wouldn't you know the bottom fell out as soon as I finished the dusting of the plants and the fence re-application?? It poured for over 30 minutes!



So during the downpour we utilized our time in the barn by Hubby sawing my recycling container tops... I get these great 5 gallon buckets w/ screw on tops and carrying handles from the aquatic center at work. They make great recycling bins for me to carry our recyclables to the drop-off center in town.





Once the rain stopped, the garden was giggling in the sunset again.

No comments:

Post a Comment