Sunday, June 16, 2013

Grow Grow Grow!

With Hubby being under the weather most of the weekend we did not get much done around the farm on Saturday. But, with the rain we had on Thursday night, the garden is a bustling!

Would you look at how big that one zucchini plant is???!!



Squash are getting bigger!



Finally saw our first zucchini piece...



You can see how high the corn is with Hubby standing in it.



I did a little weeding down around the new corn sprouts before I got too hot in the blazing sun. But, check out how high the peas are next to me!



Here are the corn sprouts once the weeds are pulled.



I did have a little episode later in the evening on Saturday after I went back to lock up... I went into the garden just to look around in the evening light and came across a strange insect inside of a hole in the ground about 2 feet from the cucumber row.



And then 10 feet from this over near the raised beds I found this.



Of course, this one is dead and the one in the hole was not. And I then, of course, freaked out thinking that these are some kind of garden beetle that is going to eat my entire garden in one swoop overnight being that these are about the size of a chicken egg. Further research has informed me that these are commonly referred to as a "Hercules beetle" and like decaying wood and plant sap. Supposedly they should not be threat to our garden...but, would you look at the size of those things? And those two horn claws on the front of them would scare anybody! Very scary stuff. They better stay far, far away. Period.

2 comments:

  1. If you have any more questions about the insect life in your garden, just watch the movie 'A Bug's Life'. It's is very informative :) Go Kelly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha Ha L-Mc! I am pretty sure there is no beetle THAT big on A Bug's Life!

    ReplyDelete