Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Show Me The Honey

My Husband has been talking about us doing the honey bee thing for quite a while now... probably 2 or more years to be honest. And I have always been... well, not too excited about it. Of course, the thought of our own honey supply can get me excited... but, the thought of thousands of bees and the thousands of chances in getting stung just does not appeal to me at all. Now that we are here full time I could no longer hold out on his bee keeping dreams... And for the past several weeks, Hubby has been building his boxes and frames for his bees to reside in. There are specific tasks that must completed in order to make the hives more like "home" to our new farm occupants. (i.e. Painting the hive boxes white)
Here is Hubby painting them a few weeks ago... Note the fact we have interior lighting in the barn to work by!



We joined the area bee-keeping club a couple of weeks ago and met some other friendly bee-keepers that gave us all kinds of advice. And this past Saturday, we picked up our first two "nucs" (two separate hives of bees in travel boxes) near Griffin, GA



We drove them the hour and half home and set their travel boxes on top of their new permanent homes in our lower deer plot. They sat there for 48 hours to "acclimate" to their new homeland.



I steered clear of all bee unloading, travel box setting, etc. That's Hubby hobby, not mine. All I can say is "Show me the honey!"

P.S.
Scoreboard:
Bees 0
Hubby 0

No comments:

Post a Comment