Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Moving The Bees

So on Monday evening (approximately 48 hours after we picked our newest family members) it was time to transfer the honey bees from their travel boxes into their permanent hives. Some fellow bee-keeping friends of ours came over to assist Hubby in his first transferring of bees. The three of them suited up in their veils and gloves, set up the smoker and started the process of slowly disassembling the travel boxes and moving each of the five frames of bees/honey combs into their new hive boxes.



As you can see, there were WAY more bees on the outside of those hives than I am comfortable with, so I stayed a fair distance away from all the action.



Of course, sometime down the road Hubby will need my help... you know when the friends are not around and when he needs more than two hands. Hopefully, he will remember to order me a set of gloves and a veil. I told him I really wanted the whole white suit... to be covered from my head to my toes. Until then, he's on his own!

P.S.
Scoreboard:
Bees 0
Hubby 0

No comments:

Post a Comment