Wednesday, April 17, 2013

And The Planting Season Begins...

One of the many things I have wanted to do for the past couple of years is plant fruit trees on our land. I can remember as a child while growing up in this area, we would go over to certain folks' house and pick apples or plums or numerous types of berries. At one time in my childhood, my own Grandparents had a grape vine in the backyard along with figs, blackberries, blueberries, mulberries, plums, muscadines, pears and even strawberries when Papaw would plant them! I also remember the family that owned the local hotel in town had the BEST plum tree known to man! I would pick and eat until I was sick to my stomach. I long for those days and want to have those growing in my own yard or back 40. So this weekend started my quest for homegrown fruit...

Before we went to Griffin this past Saturday, we drove over to Macon to pick up twelve blueberry bushes from an older couple that own a large "u-pick 'em" blueberry farm. Some friends of ours told us about this place last week, so we called and made our order for pickup on Saturday. Here is Hubby loading up the small pots with three different types of blueberry bushes.



After we picked up our bees in Griffin, we passed a nice brand new nursery along the roadside on our way to Zebulon. We picked up two 3-gallon sized Fuji apple trees and two 3-gallon sized Santa Rosa plum trees. Looks like someone is going to busy planting this week! Now I just have to figure out and/or decide WHERE exactly to plant them all.

No comments:

Post a Comment