Sunday, July 7, 2013

Rain Is A Good Thing.

We are living in a mud world... there must be squishy red clay mud everywhere I tell ya!

That is the thought that repeatedly runs through my mind as I trek out into the garden these days and into thick soft squishy mud for rows. Now don't get me wrong... I love the rain. I am even talking about dropping some dollars on plastic barrels to catch rain for watering the pumpkin patch when we don't have rain later. (Hubby finds this amusing since he seems to think it's going to rain forever and we will Never need to trek water to the pumpkin patch) But, my love for rain is suddenly hindered by my worrisome thoughts of plants getting root rot or the insects taking over because I cannot keep the sevindust on them. As we speak, the heavy weight of the fruits ever-growing on the plants plus the ongoing beating drops of rain and wind is knocking all of them over each day. By the time this rainy season moves on, we will have staked every plant in the garden! I ran out of bamboo to make stakes out of and Hubby had to start sawing the 2 x 10 drop pieces left over from making his work bench. Hey, at least we can improvise!

I am having to make myself go out and pick at least every two days just to keep the ripe (or halfway ripe) veggies from laying in the puddles of rain any extended amount of time. They will split or burst from the water exposure if not.

I switched over to my duck boots and wear canvas pants now since it's so muddy and I don't have to swat all the insects from my legs.

At the end of the day, rain is still a great thing in our book!

Few highlights since the last post:


Guess what's sprouting up in the patch??! That's right Pumpkins!


Last of the bamboo stakes on the heavy bell peppers.


Staked up banana pepper plant.


One big ol' zucchini! Biggest one out of our garden yet!


Little plot fence repairs... Gotta use much larger diameter stakes thanks to the soggy ground conditions!


Overall, the garden is still looking great! Just needs a little Vitamin D to go with all this great rain...



No comments:

Post a Comment